Sunday, August 22, 2010

I Have Officially Entered The 21st Century

So, after much pressure from Leah and many others of the blogging community, I have leaped the technological hurdle of computer saviness (with generous support from Leah) to begin my journey into blogging. By nature, I am a face-to-face person. I do not prefer email, phone, texting, or blogging for communication purposes. However, I do enjoy reading other peoples' blogs. I am the guy who reads and rarely comments but mainly because I can't figure out the word verification, those things can be pretty hard. So, I thought maybe someone out there might enjoy hearing from me every now and again. Plus, as you all know, I have a lot to say and I am very opinionated, so thank you for taking the time to listen to me and/or the people I am quoting.


The following is a quote from a book I just finished. Dr. Young is a Christian who got his Ph. D. from Hebrew University and studied under Dr. David Flusser (probably the most renowned scholar of his day on the historical Jesus). My journey in discovering the Jewishness of Jesus has been so exciting and life giving that I can't even begin to put it in words. Here is a taste of what I love...

Jesus The Jewish Theologian by Dr. Brad Young pg 273

"So the theology of many Jewish scholars is not to have a theology. At least one should not be overly aware of ones theology. Perhaps blind obedience to the Torah will better reveal the divine presence in everyday experience than the intellectual exchange of conceptual ideas. God is too vast. Mystery and wonder must pervade human perception of God's goodness. Contradictions and inconsistencies are part and parcel of God and His mysteries. One learns by doing. The Eastern mind loves riddles and is fond of mystery. The Western theologian explains much and understands little. The Eastern mindset of Jewish theology reveres God and wonders at His mysteries. All attempts to systematize God will fall short. Stand in amazement. Wonder in awe.

Jesus is like that. He never wrote a creed. He did not occupy Himself with systematic theology. But He is a profound theologian even if He would feel uncomfortable with this Western designation, He is a theologian but His theology is Jewish to the core, being rooted in Torah faithful Judaism. He stressed action more than belief. His theology emerges in the metaphor of parable and a holy reverence for life. God is good. One must stand in wonder and awe before Him."

9 comments:

  1. so tell me, the 21st century is pretty cool eh? LOL welcome to the future Tom. DL

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, got so say i just entered the 21st as well. your blog looks awesome! howd yas do dat?

    also it's exciting to find another dude on this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God is too vast. Mystery and wonder must pervade human perception of God's goodness. Contradictions and inconsistencies are part and parcel of God and His mysteries."

    I have felt this way for a long time. I have said something similar to this to my uncle in different conversations we have had over the years. Thank you for sharing! I very much look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good work, sweetheart. i'm so proud of you.

    p.s. what sound does a snake make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quote makes me think of God In Search of Man. When I read it, one of the strongest impressions I had was the importance and centrality of the awe of God. I like how he ties that into the contradictions and inconsistencies. I'm not just in awe of Him for the things I understand but also for the things I don't understand. Even more so for those things, since He is so incomprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just figured out what you meant by word verification...funny. Well for whatever reason, I'm glad you're blogging. You help me think differently. You're so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I'm glad you are blogging.
    2. I agree that the word verification is difficult. I've actually gotten it 'wrong' before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm with susan; i just read that chapter.

    ReplyDelete